Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview Questions
Note: This interview Q&A is based on pre-Covid in person interviews (from 2019 and before). All university interviews changed in 2020-2021 to an online format due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This article has been updated in November 2021 with further updated information, and we will regularly update it!
Queen’s University Belfast School of Dental Sciences is a very competitive school, with only 45 places available for Dentistry.
For more general information about the Belfast Dental School, check out this page: Belfast Dental School
The Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry interview is currently anticipated to be online for 2021/22 entry and will still have an MMI format. Usually, the MMI setup includes 4 stations, 2 questions per station and 4-6 minutes per question, with 2 minutes waiting time between stations. In this guide we provide an expert insight into past Queen’s University Belfast interview stations, the Belfast MMI day and tips for converting your Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry interview into an offer!
2021/2022 Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview in a Nutshell
What is the Belfast Interview style?
For 2021/22 entry Belfast Interviews will be online MMIs. The exact number of stations hasn’t been released but they have stated the number may have changed from previous years. Normally, there are 4 MMI stations with 2 questions each.
You are given 4-6 minutes to answer each question and there are 2 assessors in each station.
There is a 2 minute break between each station.
What are the Belfast MMI Dates?
The exact dates for 2021/22 entry haven’t yet been released but normally takes place from mid-December to March.
What are the common topics covered at the Belfast Dentistry Interview?
- Maturity and responsibility
- Self Awareness
- Ethics and moral values
- Awareness of the demands of the course
At Medic Mind we’ve helped many students secure offers from QUB and other medical schools. If you’re applying to QUB, we can do a high quality 1-1 mock with you with a QUB tutor and realistic stations uniquely for QUB.
List of Recent Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview Topics
|Theme||QUB Example Questions|
|Work Experience||What you learned|
Why you chose that placement
|Communication & Role-Play||SJT based role play with actors|
e.g. talk to a student who cheated on their final exams
|Personality & Skills||Data interpretation from articles|
– need to read quite quickly and may need to give own opinions as well
|NHS Hot Topics||Knowledge about Dentistry in the NHS|
Questions may be based on articles
|Medical Ethics||Scenarios given in the style of UCAT SJT questions|
Some knowledge required, e.g. organ donation for Medicine or Science
If you wish to practice Belfast MMI mocks, here are some sample questions:
- How did your work experience motivate you to apply for Dentistry?
- Talk to your fellow colleague who came to work drunk this morning.
- Read an article relevant to Dentistry and discuss your opinions on the topic.
- What were the 3 key things you learned from your work experience?
- Why did you choose your work experience placement?
- What was most interesting about your placement?
- Tell me how NHS banding works.
- What are your opinions on organ donation?
- Discuss the GDC ethical values.
Check out the official Queen’s University Belfast School of Dental Sciences course page here, so that you know what to expect from this course: QUB Official Page
Insider Guide: Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview Day
How did the Belfast Interview day work?
I was taken to the Dental Sciences building, where I had to sign in.
Then I was taken upstairs to a room where I was given a brief introduction into how the MMI will work and any questions from candidates were answered.
There wasn’t much waiting time as there were only 4 of us in this session and everything happened very quickly.
After the interview, I was given a feedback form on the interview process to fill in.
What do you have to bring for the Belfast Dentistry Interview?
It’s always best to be dressed smartly but comfortably. Photo ID is needed for registration.
How do you receive information for the Belfast MMI questions?
The assessors would ask one question each, and you can ask them to repeat the question if necessary.
What were the Queen’s University Belfast MMI interviewers like?
There was a big variety; some were very friendly and warm. The assessors had positive body language and it was easy to answer the question confidently. However, other examiners were cold and difficult to talk to; one examiner even looked out of the window when asking the question.
Did the Queen’s University Belfast MMI interviewers ask a lot of follow up questions?
No, they asked the question once (unless you asked them to repeat it), and once you finished that question you’d sit in silence until the next question or until the bell rang.
If you were about to overrun, a stopwatch would beep when there was a minute remaining for the question,
If you didn’t stop on time, you would be cut off and asked the next question.
How long is the actual Belfast interview?
The interview itself lasts about 40 minutes in total. However, for 2021/22 entry Belfast hasn’t released their exact timings for the online MMI.
What should I do if I’m not feeling well enough to to participate in the Belfast interview?
If you’re feeling too unwell to participate in your Belfast interview contact the Centre for Dentistry School Office as soon as possible.
How long did it take you to hear back after your Belfast interview?
Around 1 month, but this varies between candidates.
Have a look at the official application page for Dentistry at Belfast, to get some more ideas of what to expect on interview day: Dentistry at Belfast
Top Tips for the Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview
1. Listen carefully to each question and take 30 seconds to formulate a balanced, well structured answer if needed. Don’t rush into an answer out of panic, because you could end up waffling.
2. Don’t get put off by anything; the examiners might be cold on purpose, so stay confident in your answer, as this is part of the test.
3. Think about your work experience in depth before the interview, because they will expect you to expand on this question and show that you learned a lot from your placement.
4. Increase your knowledge of NHS guidelines, especially for Dentistry, and also have some knowledge of current NHS events which are relevant to Dentistry.
Have a look at our blog post on NHS questions for some extra help: NHS Hot Topics
5. Practice UCAT SJT situations to prepare for the possible scenarios in role play stations, and practise role play with friends or family, as this could be quite a new experience for you
Covid – 2021 Changes for Queen’s University Belfast Dentistry Interview
Is the Belfast interview different this year?
Queen’s University Belfast have stated that they currently anticipate 2021/22 entry interviews to be conducted online.