Work Experience in a Hospital
You can work in a wide range of departments, and may even get to see several during your work experience. The different types of departments you can often gain hospital work experience in include:
- General Surgery
- Intensive Care Unit
You will get to see first hand the day-to-day running of a ward which may include:
- Ward rounds – where you will meet patients and see how the doctors interact with inpatients
- Surgery – you may get to see operations or see a surgeons clinic
- Consultations – you may get to see consultations with outpatients or outpatient check-ups
- Multidisciplinary meetings – these meetings include planning and also discussions of patients who have complex care needs. These meetings can be really interesting if you get the chance to attend.
- Management – you can also gain insight into the management of a hospital.
If you want to gain work experience in a hospital, remember to apply early as there are limited spaces available and they get booked up months in advance, especially over the school holidays.