When do UK Medical Schools send interview invites out?
For those of you applying to Medicine in 2022, congratulations on getting this far into the process! With the often dreaded October 15th deadline long gone, it’s now time to wait for interview invites from your dream medical schools. The wait can be nerve-wracking and so, keep reading to gain a better understanding as to when you should expect to hear back from medical schools across the country.
BMAT Medical Schools
7 medical schools across the country use the BMAT to assess academic candidature for their medical program. These universities wait for the BMAT results to be released before they begin inviting applicants for interviews. The BMAT is sat much later than the UCAT and consequently, the results are relatively delayed. This means that these universities send out interview invites much later than most UCAT universities.
For 2021, BMAT results will be delivered to universities on Friday, the 26th of November 2021, following which, these universities will send out their interview invites.
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School: December and January
- Imperial College London: December (panel interview) and March (MMI)
- Lancaster University: January and February
- University of Leeds: December onwards
- University College London: December to March
- University of Cambridge: December
- University of Oxford: December
The majority of medical schools in the UK have already begun to send out interview invites as of November 2021.
The following universities have already begun inviting students to interview for traditional panel interviews.
- University of Dundee: Interviews held between December and February
- King’s College London: Interviews held between November and May
- University of Sheffield: Interviews held between November and February
- University of Glasgow
The following universities have begun inviting students to interview for MMIs. To prepare for this format of interview, check out our guide – MMI
- University of Exeter: MMIs held between December and March
- Hull York Medical School: Expected to take place in January and February
- Norwich Medical School: Interviews held between November and February
- University of St Andrews: MMIs will take place between November and March
- St George’s, University of London: Held from December to March
- University of Sunderland: MMIs and the additional maths test will be held from December to January
- University of Aberdeen: MMIs taking place between November and March
- University of Edinburgh: Invites are sent out on a rolling basis beginning in November
- Anglia Ruskin University: MMIs held in December and January
- Queen’s University Belfast: Interviews take place between December and March
- Newcastle University: MMIs held between December and February.
- Edge Hill University: Invites are sent out on a rolling basis beginning in November
- Brunel University London: Applications are only open to international students with invites already being sent out
Additionally, the University of Buckingham do not use UCAS and instead, accepts applications directly to their medical school. Candidates for 2023 entry have now received invites to a MMI selection day.
Finally, Kent and Medway, Leicester and Manchester medical schools are thought to be sending out invites soon as their interview period begins in December, and often lasts a few months. This, however, has not yet been confirmed by the universities.
Yet to start sending interview invites
The following universities have yet to begin inviting applicants to interview for their medical program.
- Aston University: Their MMIs take place from December to March so expect rolling invites during this period
- Barts, QMUL: They hold their panel interviews from January to March, typically sending invites in December
- University of Birmingham: Their MMIs take place in January and February with invites just preceding this period
- University of Bristol: Invites are sent in December and January for their panel interviews hosted up until April
- Cardiff University: Their MMIs take place in January and February with invites typically sent in December
- University of Liverpool: Interviews take place between December and February with invites sent 1-2 weeks prior
- University of Nottingham: Their MMIs happen from December to March with applicants invited in December
- University of Warwick: They both, invite applicants and host their interviews in December
- University of Southampton: Their interviews take place from January to March with invites sent 1-2 weeks prior
Some universities, such as Keele and Swansea, have yet to announce when interview invites are to be expected but based on past years predictions, it looks like they will be sent out soon!
What can you do now?
Waiting to hear back from your dream medical school can be daunting but there is no time like now to start prepping for your interviews. This is a good time to learn more about the proposed format of their interviews as well as how to best prepare for them. From mock MMI circuits to practicing virtual interview techniques, familiarity will breed comfort as far as medical school interviews go.
Finally, laud yourself for getting this far into the application process. You’re almost there and we’re rooting for you!