Best-Rated GAMSAT Preparation material
Using the best GAMSAT preparation material is essential and the key to success. In addition to these preparatory materials, I recommend you read our top tips for each section (insert link). There are endless resources and preparation materials available and it can be hard choosing which are best to use. Here are our best-rated GAMSAT preparation materials:
1. ACER Preparation Materials
ACER produces the only official GAMSAT questions so these provide the most realistic and relevant questions to practice. (Ultimately the best GAMSAT preparation material!)When you register for the GAMSAT, you’ll be provided with ‘Practice Questions’, there are 4 other E-books available. You can find them here.
|Practice Test||Australia: AUD $45|
|Practice Test 2||Australia: AUD $45|
|Practice Test 3||Australia: AUD $45|
|Sample Questions||Australia: AUD $27|
|Practice Questions||Australia: AUD $27|
|Written Communication Practice Test||Australia: AUD $15|
|Written Communication Practice Test 2||Australia: AUD $15|
2. Griffiths GAMSAT Review
Most students who’ve sat the GAMSAT would agree that the online Griffiths GAMSAT Review series is one of the best resources available. It consists of 6 books and covers all of the sections of the GAMSAT. It costs £147 for the complete set and you can find them here.
You can also download a free sample practice test here: https://www.gamsatreview.com/gamsat-practice-test
If you prefer to learn from a textbook, any A-level science book will cover the topics needed. There are multiple different ‘GAMSAT’ textbooks available but if it’s the core theory you want to learn, any A-level science book will cover the relevant topics. Try to avoid paying for overpriced textbooks which offer the same content but class themselves as ‘GAMSAT specific’ and therefore charge more money.
Some books I recommend are:
‘When Breath Becomes Air’ by Paul Kalanithi
‘Complications’ by Atul Gawande
‘Do No Harm’ by Henry Marsh
If you have done science for A-level, try to find your textbooks and use these! If not, consider purchasing, and remember you can always get them second-hand.
The ‘For Dummies’ series are a good place to start
Organic Chemistry for Dummies is £12.79 and can be purchased here.
4. Online resources
It’s tempting to go straight to the specific GAMSAT preparation materials, however the free online resources can be just as good and may even go into further detail in their explanations. Here are some links:
Tips for buying and using GAMSAT Preparation material and resources:
- Before making any purchases, think about your current knowledge and understanding. You may find that if you’ve majored in English or literature that you won’t need many resources for section 1 and similarly if you have a science background, you won’t need to invest in resources for section 3.
- If you wish to purchase materials, look at the reviews and ratings. Also check if other GAMSAT students have discussed the book within forums such as on www.thestudentroom.co.uk
- Use a variety of resources: To gain a well-rounded understanding of topics, use different resources. Whilst textbooks may be great for gaining a grounded understanding of a topic, videos may help to allow you to visualise things in real-time and 3D.
- It’s great to learn the theory but practising questions is of utmost importance. The GAMSAT purposely offers most of the knowledge you require within the question stems as it aims to test your ability to interpret information. So whilst knowing the theory is great and will help with your answering speed.
Tutoring is also a great resource to enable your learning and ensure you achieve a great grade, check out our available options here.
Please feel free to leave any comments or questions below
What is the best way to prepare for the GAMSAT?
Preparation is absolutely key, there are 3 different sections and each requires a different set of skills. Becoming familiar with the content and the style of questions will help to build your confidence and allow you to relax a little more on the day of the exam.
What should I read to prepare for GAMSAT?
If you prefer to learn from a textbook, any A-level science book will cover the topics needed. There are multiple different ‘GAMSAT’ textbooks available but if it’s the core theory you want to learn, any A-level science book will cover the relevant topics.
How many hours a week should I study for GAMSAT?
The general consensus is that students should start preparing 3 – 6 months prior to the GAMSAT and spend 2 – 3 hours per day.