The University of Aberdeen Medical School was formally established in 1787, and has been training physicians, dentists and other allied health professions since. As well as being ranked 1st in Scotland and 4th in the UK for Medicine in the Guardian League Tables 2019.
It is essential that you do well in not only your academics, but your UCAT too if you wish to apply to the University of Aberdeen. They also offer a gateway to medicine course, which is a great option for your fifth choice on your UCAS application, if you want to go to this fantastic medical school.
- Less Competitive
- Campus University
- Foundation Year
About the university Compare
|Phone number||+44 (0) 1224 437923|
|Teaching style||Integrated |
systems-based course uses clinical cases to act as a focus for teaching.
|Course length||5 Years |
Undergraduate course - 5 years
There are two intercalating BSc options as well as 12 MSc intercalating options, more details on these options are available here.
|Courses offered||1 course offered|
|Foundation or access||Yes|
Gateway to Medicine (G2M) Course - provided students fulfil the academic criteria to be awarded this Cert HE in Pre-Medical Studies, perform well at the MMI and satisfactorily complete the UCAT students will be able to join the MB ChB program.
Located at the Foresterhill Medical Campus and the University’s main Old Aberdeen Campus.
Stations each lasting 7 minutes, with breaks between each station. The MMI experience will last approximately 1 hour for each candidate.
Interviewees will then be offered a tour of the Medical school
|Interview dates||November to February|
Interviews take place between November and early February, with the exception of Gateway to Medicine students, who are usually interviewed in late March.
|UCAT||Highest scorer interviewed in 2018: 3150|
Lowest scorer interviewed in 2018: 2380
There is no minimum UCAT cut-off score used, however, your UCAT score is used to compare applicants. SJT scores may be used in offer making when candidates achieve similar scores.
UCAT scores make up 20% of the overall score awarded to students, with 30% coming from their academic achievements, and 50% from interview performance.
|GSCE||GCSE’s are not used provided requirements are met|
Grades required: Grade 5 passes in English and Math required.
A combination of grade 6-9 passes at GCSE are expected, especially in science subjects.
|A-level||AAA is common|
Subjects required: Chemistry and one other science subject (Biology, Human Biology, Maths and Physics).
Grades required: AAA
General Studies and Global Perspective and Research are not acceptable a-levels
|Retake policy||No, only in exceptional circumstances|
The University of Aberdeen does not normally accept applicants who are re-sitting their examinations to upgrade results, unless very serious personal difficulties at the time of the first sitting can be demonstrated. Appropriate supporting documentation must be supplied.
Subjects required: Five highers achieved at a single sitting. Chemistry and two other Science subjects required (Biology, Human Biology, Mathematics and Physics).
Grades required: AAAAB
Applicants only offering 4 highers owing to school policy or personal difficulties are normally required to achieve AAAA at first sitting.
Subjects required: Chemistry plus three other subjects, two of which must include; Maths, Biology or Physics.
Grades required: average of grade 6 in all subjects.
36 points required excludes points for Theory of Knowledge and bonus points.
|Bachelor's Degree (Gradutes Only)||2:1 Honours degree|
Subjects required: N/A
Grades required: 2:1 upper second class honours degree. With Chemistry at grade B or above in Scottish Higher or A-level
Note, graduate with non-honours degrees and are considered as mature applicants and therefore need to fulfill mature applicant requirements.
Exception: non-honour graduates offering a nursing degree can extend their degree, undertake an access to medicine course or complete Scottis
Highers or A-levels to required grades.
|Applications in 19/20||Total number of applicants: 2224|
Scottish applicants: 819
EU applicants: 380
UK applicants: 663
Overseas applicants: 362
|Interviews in 19/20||Total number of applicants interviewed: 866|
Scottish applicants interviewed: 554
EU applicants interviewed: 66
UK applicants interviewed: 159
Overseas applicants interviewed: 87
|Offers in 19/20||Total number of offers: 487|
Scottish applicant offers: 332
EU applicant offers: 14
UK applicant offers: 90
Overseas applicant offers: 44
|Success rate in 19/20||Application success rate: |
Offers per applicant: 1 in 4.6
Interview success rate:
Offers per interview: 1 in 1.8